Skip to content
The Battle Over Citizen Kane
- 1939 Hollywood was at its peak/big films were being made.
- William Hearst owned many newspapers and other medias.
- Orson Welles’ parents died when he was at a very young age. He was in boarding school and “grew up” very fast.
- Hearst ran for congress but didn’t show up half the time.
- Orson Welles caused $40,000 worth of damage when people did not like his shows
- Orson Welles thought Hearst was a stiff old man who was cut off from the world.
- Hearst kept spending money thinking his newspapers would supply money to him but didn’t. Then he started selling his stuff.
- Luella was feared by everybody in Hollywood. But especially her younger sister.
- Hearst put threats towards Orson Welles in his newspapers, he didn’t care about the truth.
- Walt Disney was Jewish.
- RKO delayed the release of Citizen Kane.
- Welles liked to be challenged.
- Hearst called Orson Welles play communistic.
- FBI thought Orson Welles was a threat and had suspicions.
- Orson Welles gets canceled. 😍
Docudrama RKO 281
- Orson Welles went to New York at 18.
- Hearst didn’t allow smoking or drinking at the parties he hosted.
- Orson Welles was known as “Wonder Boy”
- Hearst goes bankrupt. 😮💨✌🏿
Orson Welles Interview on Citizen Kane
- Storytellers first duty is the story.
- Citizen Kane was only 25 when making the film.
- He had total control of his film.
- He really didn’t want to make a film, he wanted authority.
- When you know something about a profession, you seem to be more timid.
- Citizen Kane thought the camera could do anything that we could see and our imagination.
- His main character in the film he made is everything that he is not both good and bad.